Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Quietness

These days everyone talks about priorities. Me in project management is no exception. That's what I do at work. I schedule. I weigh out what's important and what's not important; what needs to be done asap and what can wait--with the end goal in mind. I interact with different people in different teams, making sure everything that's supposed to be done is done (in a timely manner). With the million things happening at the same time with different teams, I always try to keep myself in high alert... the extreme concentration (and the workload of course) seems to extend itself to the after hours... and i find myself working longer and longer into the night.

End result, of course, is that I had less and less time for myself. Everyone *knows* that there should be a work/life balance; everyone *knows* that we should spend some quiet time every day and reflect on how we do that day, etc. etc. yet I couldn't seem to do it. Every day I tell myself that I'll spend that night to think... but then I almost always end up bringing work home (NB: I fully recognize that it's a choice that I intentionally make), so the reflection time again gets delayed.

Anyways, a few days ago, when I was losing patience when friends talked to me at lunch, I knew I had to do something about it... so I took a 25-min powerwalk (half of my usual running route) by myself over lunch... boy was it refreshing!! I got to think and actually "face" myself... I even sorted out (at least a little bit) my struggles and had some prayer time.

So now I will block off my calendar for half an hour every day for reflection at lunch--don't know how many days i can do that but I will try my best!!

***
My friend emailed me a response to my last blog. I thought it was very beautiful... there's a difference between my headknowledge and who I am (personality)... so we'll see if I can truly figure this out:

Quietness is Truthfulness
Truthulness is Courage
Courage is Love

When you are ready to love,
Quietness naturally arrives.
When
you quiet yourself,
Love naturally arrives.

No comments: