Tuesday, February 13, 2007

What would I give up?

We wanted to do something to promote lent this year, so in the past week (and this week), I'm starting to think about how to help kick it off, esp. with the drama team. Purpose really is to increase our awareness and enter into a period of sorrowful reflection remember Christ - His death, His suffering--and later on ending in celebrating His ressurection. I am ashamed to say that before this year I didn't even know what lent is (I know I'm not catholic but I should at least know the origin!)

Anyways, as we are gearing ourselves up into writing different sketches--different questions pop up in mind. We aren't officially "observing lent" in a traditional sense (no fasting, etc.), what should we convey to the congregation exactly thru these sketches? Obviously we don't want to say too much - since it's one's own journey in this period.

Then the second question is more of a practical one for myself - what will I give up??? It seems like now with such an abundance of things being provided for us - we don't know what we should give up? Someone told me that he can't think of anything because he doesn't think it's that hard to give up one thing (even if it's his favorite), because there's something else that's favorite for him that could fill the 40 days....

Are we then missing the point of this liturgical practice? I want to spend sometime for the rest of the week to reflect on this for myself... (well, one thing for sure - I kinda know what I should be giving up!)

No comments: