Just came back from Whistler. It has been a fun trip (well, I was going to say relaxing, but given that I'm sore ALL over I'm not sure how "relaxing" it was :P); it's just nice to spend some time with the cell group. So happy we got one of them to snowboard even though she didn't want to try it!!! At the end it's all about experience and I'm glad that she actually enjoyed it. We didn't do much - last night we "planned" to play a lot of games and have fun... Little did we know how tired we really were - once we finished dinner, someone started to play the movie "Little miss sunshine" and we all fell asleep... I woke up in time to watch the ending but can't comment much about the plot!!Snowboarding. Something I hate and love at the same time. On one hand, I like the feeling of "flying" (crawling?) in the snow; on the other, I'm really worried that one of these days I will fall so bad that it will cost me literally an arm and a leg (and my back!!) Yesterday at the end I wiped out so badly ("tumbling down" may be a better phrase) as my fatigue took over that today I almost couldn't move. I do think I'm getting a little better at carving - at least when the slope's not steep. Just don't have a lot of control. Quite scary.
Speaking of control. A friend/dear sister talked about how we as humans love having control and how God esp. shows us that He himself is God when we are "out of control". It seems like a very simple concept - yet as prideful beings - we just don't want to give up our control. These days for most people life has to happen a certain way, or it's "unfair"...
I remember a hymn "It is well with my soul". A couple of my friends went to see Brian Doerksen's concert this weekned - I hope he sang this song - now this is a song that gives me a glimpse of how a person can lose so much and still has peace and that faith to pen these words. I remember the first time I heard the song in worship conference in Edmonton I was moved to tears...
When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well,
with my soul.
I have always been so amazed - I suppose I have never experienced that degree of "thorns" in my life... perhaps this day will come (I certainly won't pray for them) - and I will remember the encouragement from the lyrics!

No comments:
Post a Comment