I was asking a friend about what he is looking for in a girl today. He listed all the requirements like personality, understanding, honesty, loyalty, friendliness, down-to-earth character... --to my *surprise* he listed looks/appearance LAST! Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!
Of course I have my suspicion. Call me skeptical, but based on my observations and conversations with many guy friends (or what I overhear from their conversations anyways!!), it's a very very rare quality these days that guys do not put looks in near top (or absolute top) quality when they are looking for a girl (well, some will call that chemistry). I mean, guys will tell girls otherwise (to make themselves sound good), but God knows what they really think!
Well, he has his reasons--past experience has taught him a lesson about what looks would not give him--happiness. So he thinks if the girl is pretty that's just a bonus--what's inside the girl is more important. It is a somewhat-acceptable reason, but... well, perhaps I have too little trust in guys and what their heads really think about.
Still remember that once someone has specifically used two verses to encourage me:
"A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies."
- Proverbs 31:10
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised."
- Proverbs 31:30
But in the end, I still struggle every day with the thought that guys care more about appearance than inner beauty, and that struggle never went away.
I don't want to struggle about this anymore. I know God has created me with His divine purpose and that I'm wonderfully and fearfully made - I don't know how I can change my negative thinking about myself, always wondering whether I am actually special... How sad is that?
Will my prince charming come--one who accepts and loves me and thinks that I'm the most special person in the whole world?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Here's my two cents worth...if we are fortunate, life will be a long road...selecting the right person to accompany oneself on that journey is of the utmost importance - a decision that cannot be taken lightly, methinks. To do so by virtue of looks is silly, as those will fade; but the mind is what makes that journey worth travelling. For if it is a good mind, then life will not be long enough; a poor one, well...simply put, life is unbearably long:P Maybe this is idealistic on my part...but it is far better to cling to a dream, then to dismiss it as a casualty of reality.
Post a Comment