Saturday, November 05, 2005

My first hockey game


All my friends told me that I would like the excitement of actually being a real hockey game. So when the opportunity came up AGAIN that I could get a pair of tix for the Wed game, I finally couldn't resist and took it. They weren't the cheapest tickets, but at least I bought them at cost.

Anyways, the game itself was pretty fun. I mean--it IS really different being there and watching a hockey game than sitting in front of a TV (not that I do much of that anyways). The game seems to go faster (but strangely the players seem to be skating more slowly; may be it's just the perception).

But I was actually very very steamed for about 2 hours before I got to GM place. It's all about driving again. I knew I had to get to W's place earlier because we were going to skytrain from there on to downtwn. Even tho I planned to leave my workplace at 4:30pm (hey I started work at 7:30am!) I couldn't leave till almost 5pm. Normally (with all the traffic) it would mean that I get to his place at about 6pm. The moment I heard from the radio that there was an accident on Hwy1 West bound, my heart sank. Then I planned to go out of the highway in some exits earlier, but I forgot to ask W which exit to go out - and then when the exit approached I couldn't decide whether I should actually exit or not... so I ended up staying on the highway and going BUMPER TO BUMPER for 1 hr. I have NEVER screamed so hard in my entire life (in a car) trying to cool off--and this was also the first time I cried because of a traffic jam. Probably stress related I don't know, but by the time I arrived at W's place, I was ready to kill someone.

But that aside, the game was pretty fun to watch :P. I have to admit that I am not a true hockey fan - because throughout the second period, I secretly wanted Minnesota to score so that the game would play faster (I later told my friend and she said good thing I didn't think aloud :P). (I thought it was a bit boring to watch and both sides weren't playing that well but what do I know!)... But the last period, esp. the final few minutes with the powerplay (6 on 3, whatever that's called) it was quite exciting.

The skytrain ride to W's place after the game was soo much more relaxing... to tell you the truth, it probably didn't matter much to me whether Canucks win or not... but I like the goalie (Auld?) - he's so cool.

Ahhh... such is the experience of my first hockey game! (Too bad I didn't go to last nite's game--probably would have been fun-ner with so many more goals )

No comments: