After last year's less-than-optimal employee survey result conducted by a consultant company, our company decided to institute a whole bunch of changes re: performance review process and have different workshops about career management.
Out of curiosity, I participated in this half-day workshop on career management. I have to admit - I never really believed in these things... I mean who doesn't know that we need to position ourselves, that we should find our passion, that we should explore opportunities and be constantly upgrading ourselves? Usually people know it but they just don't have enough persistance or discipline to go through with it!
But actually it wasn't too bad. I mean, still I didn't really learn anything per se (everything is so common sense), but it does cause me to think a bit more about what I want to do for my career. The workshop actually did reinforce me that I had made a right choice switching out of research. Looking back, I'm almost surprised at myself to have made this change even without being sure what I was getting myself into and whether I would like it. I knew I was stuck in research and felt that I wasn't going anywhere and my brain wasn't used much... but still, I'm almost proud that with my inertia to change I did make the move!
But what now? Probably in about a year or two, I'll be in the same place again looking for change (can't seem to be doing the same thing for a long time!). Is it going to be a lateral change again? Or have I found my lifelong career in project management? I guess this has yet to be revealed!
Anyways, the consultant was talking about locus of control and the 5 P's in career management. I need to think more about that...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment