I have to admit. I'm not the best decision maker in the whole world. As a matter of fact, I don't think there are that many people who are as indecisive as I am... unfortunately my bf isn't that much more decisive than I--so sometimes just deciding where to eat (among other things) takes forever...Well, I suppose eating is just a small matter. Knowing how to make wise life decisions is what I'm more concerned about... and sometimes I am scared that this nature of mine will eventually hinder me from advancing in my career. One consoling thing is that I tend to be a lot more confident in my work (and only in my work) than in my personal life. Don't know why--just seem to be able to decide about things at work more quickly than say whether to date someone or what I want to do on the weekend or whether I should buy a place...
Anyways, I've been reading Steven Sample's "The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership" and of course there's a chapter on decision making. This is more on corporate decision making as a leader... but there are two rules that he talked about that's pretty interesting:
1) Never make a decision yourself that can reasonably be delegated to a lieutenant.
Essentially, delegation to a subordinate can save one's time and is also a form of training and development for those under him/her. (There's why there is the idea of apprenticeship I suppose) Of course that doesn't mean the leader himself won't take responsibility if the subordinate were to make a wrong decision--and that's why most leaders do not like delegating... because the trust is just not there.
2) Never make a decision that can reasonably be put off to tomorrow.
Artful procrastination. The idea that the timing of a decision could be as important as the decision itself. Now this is somethign that I probably will never master :P. Because with the advantage of opening up a lot more options also comes the possibility of waiting for too long (which is usually true in my case)...
Anyways, all these theories sound good and stuff, at the end of the day I think I just need more experience in handling *life*. No matter what, the decision path that I'm treading on now belongs to no one but me... so it would be a unique experience for myself anyways. We'll just have to see....
On the lighter side, I came across this website that's absolutely hilarious!
http://www.theophilus.org/indecision.html

No comments:
Post a Comment