Tuesday, September 13, 2005

New body needed


Can't believe I, a 20+ year-old, can suffer from back pain for >2 years and still see no end to it. Always described by my friends (even those who just know me) as an active person, the past few years has just been a painful torture (literally).

My approaches to solving this problem? Well, I think I tried EVERYTHING... I
1) went to the doctor, who gave me some rubbing thing for reducing inflammation (may I add that it's absolutely useless);
2) went to physiotherapy--but didn't find it help much after a few session;
3) changed my mattress to a more decent one (now actually this was the first thing I did--but nope my back refused to be happy;
4) went to quite a few sessions of accupressure + massage therapy (of course the pain didn't go away!);
5) went to a chiropractor--now this is worth mentioning a bit. The chiropractor I was seeing said that my pelvis is not aligned and therefore my right side of the hip (?) is trying to compensate, and the tissues around the lower back just get tight. He suggested that I get orthotics (which I did) and start stretching more frequently, build up my core muscles, etc. etc... every time I go to the clinic and have my back "cracked", I seem to get instantaneous relief--but the pain usually comes back within a week. I even stopped running and doing any high impact exercises altogether for almost a month--and when my chiropractor said I can start adding high impact stuff back in my exercise routine, my level of pain just starts growing exponentially.

Does that mean that I can't run or do any high-impact exercises anymore??? Whereas I tell everyone that I think the pain started 2+ years ago after falling in snowboarding, I really really could not pinpoint exactly when it started to be a recurring (constant) pain. And the even scarier thing is: the type of pain seems to be growing in a different direction too. It's not a "muscle" pain anymore. I actually seem to feel a knot or a hard thingy on my lower back... W even said that maybe my hip is totally out of alignment and I need a surgery!! Arrrrrrrgggghhhh!!!

Well, I finally booked an appointment to see my family doctor (because too many friends have suggested the same thing)--hopefully I can persuade her to get an x-ray done. And hopefully I'll finally gain some peace of mind--that this is nothing serious.

Honestly now I really appreciate a new body... not that I haven't been grateful about the one that God has given me!! When pain becomes part of one's everyday life, when one rarely wakes up without feeling back in the back--it just doesn't make me feel like a young person anymore :(

1 comment:

wiwian said...

I went to an acupuntunrist before for my back and it helped. If you need, I could give you her number :)