Thursday, December 29, 2005

Cat lover in-training

I have always liked dogs more than cats. I don't even know why - I think it's because I always thought that dogs are more loyal and friendly and can be "trained" more (well, but I don't know how many dogs will still bark when strangers approach a house). Some of my friends in Vancouver have dogs and I like playing with them (most like playing with me as well).

However this trip certainly changes my viewpoint on cats. I never really have any feelings (positive or negative) toward them. But since two of my friends who moved back to HK after graduation got cats (both were single and living by themselves), I had a chance to actually "live" with cats. (I'm staying at both their places in my trip)

The first one doesn't play with people much. The moment you try to touch him, he runs away. And boy does he like eating. Whatever you place in front of him--he'll just eat till there's nothing left. (Apparently the cat doctor said that he is overweight and should be on diet--I guess not surprisingly.) I like this cat even tho it's a bit big as a cat :) One more thing that's very cute about him - he is scared of blowdryer... the moment the noise of blowdryer comes on, he runs away like crazy....

The second one is an absolutely adorable one. This one is a she. Boy she is SOOOO cute. At first when I arrived at my friend's place (who actually just left for Vancouver), I was a little worried that the cat would be scared of me or wouldn't like me, etc. etc. But the moment I entered the apartment, she came out and was making a noise in her throat (later on I found out that this is "purring" and that means that the cat is happy). And then she wouldn't leave me... her behavior is sooooo cute - always trying to lure me into playing with her and always like to roll around with the head facing upwards... on the first day she only wanted me to play with her and was very restless (wouldn't sit still). By the second night when I got back home - after playing with me for a while she just sat quietly beside me... and i ended up falling asleep with her on my lap).

Even as I'm typing now, she's leaning on the side of the laptop with her eyes half closed - once every min she'll be using her paw to touch my hand gently... (it took me a while to get her to not touch the keyboard or the monitor tho) I'm quite amazed how still she can stay--on the desk or on my lap (sometimes I think that the typing sound makes her sleepy)...

I don't know - Pookie almost makes me want to get a cat myself. She's very easy to take care of. She will eat when she is hungy (and most importantly won't overeat!)... and she apparently comes pretrained and kept herself quite clean. During the daytime she'll hide somewhere (sleeping?) and only comes out during the night. And her behavior is toooo cute - it's almost impossible to not want to play with her!!! I'm thinking - if I live by myself (like my 2 friends) and if I have enough $$, I definitely will get a cat!

There are many people in my company who have cats... when I return to Vancouver I have to tell them that I got converted to being a cat lover!! :D

Oh btw, before I always thought that people who do baby-talk with their pets are really weird - but I find myself doing the same thing in the past 2 days!!!

"Pookie.... awwwwwwwww.... miao miao... You're a bad girl!!!... NO pookie did you hear me, NO!.... Awwwwwwwww Pooookie you are so cute do you know??"

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! ^_^

No comments: