Thursday, December 29, 2005

Observations about HK... Days 1-4

1. There are MANY buses in HK. They are all over the place. If you take a random picture on the road you'll most certainly catch one.

2. It's very easy to see what is "in style" (clothes fashion wise) even if you only walk around in HK for one day. Everyone wears similar things. This year it's boots with shorts/capris (or even just jeans) folded-up.

3. People in HK have amazing ability to withstand heat. At 18oC to 21oC I see people with down-fur coat/wool coat with scarf. Even watching them makes me sweat.

4. Many people in HK wear jeans to attend wedding banquets. Apparently my friend said that this is so because they get invited to too many weddings. Also it seems that for many HK weddings the ceremony and the banquets are on 2 different dates (this completely surprised me because I didn't know until 2 weeks ago that I would be missing my friend's wedding ceremony!).

5. Many malls in HK do not have food courts. (I couldn't find a single seat in IFC where I could sit - even the coffee shops were all full).

6. Most working single people do not go home for dinner. It's too convenient to go out and people work till too late.

7. If you are good you can bargain even in expensive chain stores --I thought before that usually people only bargain when they go up to China (With the help of my friend, I bought a pretty good coat almost in half price.)

8. There are many people who wear masks on the street. Must be the pollution or the fear of getting infected or spreading the flu... or the consequence of SARS a few years back....

... I'm sure there are more but I can't think of any now. Should have written it down on the road...

To be continued...

No comments: