
These days at work I have been working partly in clinical and partly in project management. Apparently I have always been known by my manager who can type fast. So when they had some backlog of data that they needed to enter urgently, my manager (who's new to that dept) thought of me.
She called me at 5:30ish Wed evening and started asking me what my "schedule" was like in the next few days. I knew she wanted to ask me to do something for her, but I couldn't figure out what (and she wouldn't tell me for the longest time!). So I said, just tell me what you want me to do and I'll make time for it! She finally told me how they had this backlog of data - and that this data usually should be entered by the lead CRA, but then they really needed to clear the backlog urgently for internal purpose, etc. etc. I was like, Ahhhh you want me to type. Sure!
So then Thurs came (I esp. started the day with Tim Horton's coffee--first time actually after I started working)... and I was set up with a laptop computer, and I started typing away (almost non-stop for 8 hours, as I missed my stairmasters routine at lunch as well). Because I'm the type that once I start concentrating on doing something, I can't stop until I finish. And I wanted to finish everything in one day... By the time I finished, my hands were actually quite sore. But I seriously didn't mind it, because just by reading what I was typing, it gave me a greater understanding of what clinical research is and different processes/systems in it... so everything was cool. Apparently the lead CRA was so happy how much I got done she said I was hired =)
Anyways, Fri I did more data entry stuff... I told the CRA that whenever she needs my help, just let me know and I'll work around my schedule... (I really wanted to do more clinical stuff, however mindless it is right now!)
This morning when I was having my weekly meeting with my manager, she handed me a red envelope. $100 gift certificate at Spa Utopia!! That was a shock to me! Apparently I really helped them a lot and they wanted to tell me that the company appreciates me.... it's kinda funny - I didn't know I was THAT useful. But well, I am of the type that if others recognize my work and shows appreciation, I really can commit A LOT of time--and I can definitely stay very very late at work haha. I don't need big raises - little gesture keeps me happy.
My manager is quite cool =) I think she knows how to use me hehe.

No comments:
Post a Comment